The industrial and demographic evolution of Petrer has led to the connection of its urban area with the one of Elda, which produced the curious fact that two parts of the same street belong to each of the municipalities.
Petrer is the fifth most populated city of the Valencian Comunity. It has Roman and Muslim origins located in the same place: the castle, which was rebuilt and is one of the most beautiful in the province. Both, the Castle and the town depended on the Count of Cocentaina and were repopulated by Valencian-speakers after the expulsion of the Moorish in 1609; being this one of their main cultural characteristics.
It is a fully industrial town dedicated to the production of shoes and leather goods.