How do I get a NIE?
Citizens of EU/EEA member countries (and Switzerland) can apply for a Número de Identidad Extranjero (NIE) using the EX-15 form.
How to apply
First, make an appointment. To do this:
- Click here
- Select Cita Previa Extranjeria and click Acceder al Procedimiento at the bottom
- In the Provincias Disponibles drop down box, select the appropriate Spanish region and click Aceptar
- In the Trámites Disponibles Para La Provincia drop down box, select Policia-Asignación de NIE and click Aceptar
- A list of documents you need for your appointment will appear, click Entrar
- Enter your details and click Aceptar
- Select the best appointment for you
- Confirm your appointment and save the PDF appointment confirmation
You then need to pay the required application fee before attending your appointment:
- Fill in the Modelo 790-012 tax form online (make sure you select Asignación de Número de Identidad de Extranjero a instancia del interesado)
- Download and print the completed version
- Take all pages to a bank and pay the required fee (9,64€ Dec.2018)
- Make sure you get proof of payment
The final step is to attend your appointment with the following documents:
- Valid passport
- Completed EX-15 NIE application form and one photocopy (when filling out the form, do not check the option Consiento que las comunicaciones y las notificaciones se realicen por medios electrónicos if you do not have a digital signature)
- Printed PDF appointment confirmation
- Your Modelo-790-012 proof of payment (do not make a copy of this document, original is required)
Some will be issued a NIE immediately. Others will need to return to collect it. Don’t forget to take all of the required documents with you again when you return.